Well it is here. Dumb Starbucks. This is an actual coffee shop with actual coffee, dumb coffee I presume.
Lines over one hour long have been reported.
What you need to know
- This is a real cafe and they serve real coffee.
- Serve 'Dumb Iced Coffee' and 'Dumb Frappicuccino'
- Located in the Los Feliz neighborhood of Los Angeles
- Has become quite a success. Lines up to one hour long.
- Coffee is free, from what we can tell.
- Coffee is not very good, from what we can tell.
- No one is sure how long it will last. Stabucks has a lot of lawyers.
- No one knows who is behind this.
- They care claiming it is a parody and using fair use to modify the official logo
- Most people find this very funny.
- They will probably get their own Wikipedia page.
- @justinshanes is concerned Dumb Starbucks will put independently owned parody coffee shops out of business. We agree Justin.
Worried that the Dumb Starbucks in my neighborhood is gonna put independently owned parody coffee shops out of business.— Justin Shanes (@justinshanes) February 9, 2014
Dumb Starbucks on Jimmy Kimmel
Checkout Dumb Starbucks founder, Nathan Fielder, on Jimmy Kimmel
Dumb Starbucks Menu
How can they do this? Dumb Starbucks FAQ
Is this a Starbucks?
No. Dumb Starbucks is not affiliated with Starbucks Corporation. We are simply using their name for marketing purposes"
How is that Legal?
Short answer - parody law.
Can you elaborate?
Of course. Bay adding the word 'dumb', wea are technically "making fun" of Starbucks, which allows us tu use their trademarks under a law known as 'fair use'. Fair use is a doctrine that permits use of copyrighted material in a parodical worth without permission from the rights holder. It's the same law that allows Weird Al Yankovic to use the music from Michael Jackson's "Beat It" in his parody song "Eat It".
So is this a real business?
Yes it is. Although we are a fully functioning coffee shop, for legal reasons Dumb Starbucks needs to be categorized as a work of parody art. So, in the eyes of the law, our "coffee shop" is actually an art gallery and the "coffee" you're buying is considered the art. But that's for our lawyers to worry about. All you need to do is enjoy our delicious coffee!
Are you saying Starbucks is dumb?
Not at all. In fact, we love Starbucks and look up to them as role models. Unfortunately, the only way to use their intellectual property und fair use is if was are making fun of them. So the "dumb" comes out of nesessity, not enmity.
Okay, I think I understand now.
Great. Anything else?
I guess not.
Okay thanks. See you later.
FAQ as posted:
Where to get Some Dumb Coffee
Other Great Stories
- Mashable on Dumb Starbucks
- CBS Los Angeles
- CBS LA Evening News Story (Video)
- Holywood Reporter
- The independent on legality of Parody
Like I said before very clever.
What do you think about Dumb Starbucks? It is a great opening for an interesting conversation.
Update: February 14, 2014: Added Video of Nathan Fielder on Starbucks